Ordered during the First World War by the Ministry of Munitions from W.G.Bagnall Ltd. of Stafford, 0-4-0 saddle tank "Wendy" was not completed by the Armistice. She was sold in 1919 to the Votty and Bowydd slate quarry at Blaenau Ffestiniog. By 1930 she had been transferred to the Dorothea Quarry at Nantlle, acquiring her name there. She fell out of use around the end of the Second World War, to moulder away in the quarry.
Bought by the embryo H.N.G.R.S. in the early nineteen sixties, her purchase price of £30 was not the bargain which might be thought. A sister engine in working order changed hands around the same time for about the same amount! Rebuilt between 1969 and 1979 she ran, firstly, on a private site in Hampshire, then, briefly, at a holiday centre on Hayling Island, before transfer to Kew Bridge Steam Museum. She then had a most successful stay at the Amberley Chalk Pits Museum. (There are also some photographs of Wendy at Amberley here). Wendy has proved a good servant which more than justified the major overhaul she received in 2012, although now based at Bursledon Brickworks Museum she has also run at Hayling Seaside Railway pulling their passenger train services along the front at Hayling.
Click the picture to enlarge it